Spanish Bilingual Program
Chicago Semester’s Spanish Bilingual Program allows students of any major to practice their Spanish language skills through a city-wide immersive professional internship experience, all while staying in the U.S. During the program, you will intern at one of our Spanish Bilingual internship sites where you will gain professional skills working and communicating with Spanish-speaking colleagues and clients. You will work with a variety of populations in the city of Chicago to gain practical and professional skills in multicultural communities and work settings. You will dive into Chicago’s Hispanic/Latine culture by examining the city’s Latine history, attending Spanish church services, volunteering with community organizations and so much more.
Spanish is the most common non-English language spoken in Chicago. Of the 2.7 million people living here, roughly 30% identify as Latine/Hispanic and 18% primarily speak Spanish.
- SubletInn creates housing communities designed for students, interns, and international travelers – offering private furnished bedrooms in beautiful shared co-living spaces in Chicago. Students interning at this exciting start-up company can gain experience in marketing, web development, real estate, and more – all while using their Spanish language skills to support clients and colleagues.
- Casa Central is one of the largest Hispanic social service agencies in the Midwest. Since 1954, Casa Central has delivered evidenced-based, award winning programming in response to the needs of the Hispanic community. Students interning here will use their Spanish language skills to contribute to Casa Central’s comprehensive, family-centered programming, assisting with casework and community outreach efforts.
Internship Placement Process
- Submit your program application, references, resume, transcript and essay responses to Chicago Semester.
- We review your materials, work with you collaboratively to create a polished resume ready for professional review and send these to potential internship sites.
- You interview with potential internship sites and prioritize which opportunity is the best fit for you.
HEAR FROM A SPANISH LANGUAGE ALUMNUS
"I cannot express how much I loved this experience. My internship site was very team oriented and valued self-growth. I was challenged with learning both sides of interpretation- if the client spoke only Spanish they were my priority client, and I would help interpret documentation as well as for intake meetings. I was able to find joy in all tasks as well as grow to love these challenges."
– Coral Nava
Class of '21, Internship at RefugeeOne
Professional Seminars and Courses
Professional Seminar (Interdisciplinary) - Fall, Spring and Summer
Hispanic and Latine Culture and Community in Chicago - Fall, Spring and Summer
Arts in the City - Fall and Spring
Diversity and Inequality: Engaging Chicago Cross Culturally - Fall, Spring and Summer
Social Justice - Fall and Spring
Urban Planning, Development and the Sustainable City - Spring only
Values and Vocation: Reflections on Work and the Common Good - Fall and Spring
Are you a site looking for interns in this field?