Spend your summer with Chicago Semester
Looking for a unique summer experience, where you can live in the vibrant city of Chicago, close to Lake Michigan and all that the city has to offer during the summer, while simultaneously propelling your career forward? Are you an athlete or campus leader, who would love to do Chicago Semester but can’t leave your home college for an entire semester? Are you seeking a summer internship opportunity, but want the support of a program with over 40 years of experience placing students at competitive internship sites across the city? Do you want to build professional connections in the city while receiving academic credit during the summer? Whatever the reason, whatever your goals, our program can help you get where you want to go.
Our summer program provides you with the opportunity to live and learn in the Windy City as you take courses for academic credit and work full time at an internship site in your field of study. Let’s take a look at what makes our summer program unique.
Summer Program Details
As the professional environment becomes increasingly competitive, an academic internship experience is pivotal to your post-college career. However, many students can’t leave their home campuses for a full academic semester due to other commitments at their college. If you are one of these students, our Summer Program can provide you with an opportunity to take part in the Chicago Semester internship experience without leaving your college campus for an entire semester.
During the CS Summer Program, you will spend 10 weeks living in the heart of the Gold Coast neighborhood, participating in a full-time internship, and taking two courses: Diversity & Inequality and Professional Seminar. You will receive academic credit at your home institution. Just like our full semester program, this is a holistic experience which allows you to engage in urban life, take courses, and develop a professional network.
Though a selective process, our summer program internship placement process stays true to the Chicago Semester collaborative approach. As sites begin to express interest in your resume, we will work with you to schedule interviews. Due to the competitive nature of summer internships in Chicago, acceptance into the program is not guaranteed prior to securing an internship. You will be accepted and invited to enroll into the program when an internship site offers you a position.
Students in certain fields have the opportunity to apply for paid internship opportunities during our summer program. These fields typically include: Accounting, Finance, Business Management, Marketing, and Human Resources. Please note that while some paid opportunities may exist, Chicago Semester does not guarantee a paid internship for students in these fields. For more information on paid internships in Chicago, contact Associate Director of Internships, Kendra Wright.
Summer 2018 applications will become available soon. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis; however, priority is given to students who apply by our Early Notification deadline, December 1. To increase your chances of securing an internship and being selected into the Chicago Semester Summer program, apply by December 1.
- Completed Chicago Semester application and required signatures.
- Two completed Recommendation forms, with one preferably being filled out by an employer, and one being filled out by a professor.
- Professional Resume (Due to the competitive nature of Internships in Chicago, you are required to have a polished resume that is ready to be sent to potential internship sites when you apply. Please see your campus’ career services department for assistance following our resume guidelines).
- Minimum Cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- $150 application fee (If we are unable to secure you an internship, you will receive a full refund).
- June 2017: Chicago Semester Summer 2018 Applications open.
- December 1, 2017: Chicago Semester Early Notification Deadline
- February – April, 2018: You will interview with potential internship sites.
- April 20, 2018: All internship and program acceptance decisions are finalized.
For more information on applying to the Chicago Semester Summer Program, contact Coordinator of Recruitment, Marketing and College Relations, Sara Van Gorp.