Interested in hosting an intern through Chicago Semester?
Chicago Semester is an experience-based academic program that provides undergraduate college students the opportunity to gain professional experience in the big city. Through an internship for credit in their field of study, classes that engage the city as their campus, and housing in the heart of the city, students are inspired and challenged to grow professionally, academically and personally. We invite your organization to partner with us to make this possible, by hosting CS students for internships and providing hands-on learning experience. CS seeks opportunities that truly challenge students and help them contribute to your team. As a site supervisor, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with an energetic, capable worker who is eager to begin building his or her future.
How does the intern hosting and selection process work?
- Pre-screen. Several months before each semester begins, CS students are pre-screened through an application process on their campus and with our program. CS staff then work with students to understand their interests and prepare their resumes for professional consideration.
- Identify potential site matches. CS staff begin the placement process, recruiting new potential site partners and/or determining which current site partners might be a good fit for students and their interests. Staff reach out to a variety of organizations, share resumes and invite site partners to consider interviewing one or more students.
- Arrange interviews. CS staff arrange one to three interviews for every student with sites that express interest. These sites, in turn, may be interviewing several students for a single internship position.
- Mutual decision-making. Final decisions are based on mutual agreement between the CS student and the prospective site supervisor, usually several weeks in advance of the internship start date. This opportunity to make a decision based on mutual fit fosters a strong sense of ownership and commitment for both sides of the internship match.
- Internship placement. Students work 32-40 hours per week depending on their Track and school’s requirements. Fall and Spring semester internships last 14-15 weeks and the summer semester internship lasts 8 weeks. Students receive academic credit for the internship, complete learning goals and are evaluated by their site supervisor at least once during the experience.
Want to get started? Click on the sidebar and tell CS about your organization!